Sunday, March 25, 2012

Rotary's 107th Birthday Celebration! - Danneile Davis



To the other restaurant patrons, it may have looked like an intimate dinner out on the town with good friends. And in many ways, it was. But between the plate-sharing, jokes, and laughter, when we all raised our glasses “to Rotary!” it was clear that this was so much more. I truly felt connected not only to the people sitting with me but also to Rotarians worldwide as we celebrated the organization’s 107th birthday. I felt humbled to be, since a sophomore in high school, a part of the organization that has brought so many different people together in the common goals of community service, friendship, and honor. Whether sharing risotto at a social dinner, discussing the agenda at a General Board Meeting, or face-painting at a volunteer event at the Ronald McDonald House, I always have that same happy feeling. The dinner was also a wonderful chance to get to know more members on a more personal level. I had such a wonderful time at La Viola celebrating Rotary’s birthday with my fellow Rotaractors, and cannot wait for our next event!